Das Schloss
 
Am herrschaftlichen Schloss erkennt man den Spät-Barocken Baustil. Im Jahre 1620 stand das Schloss als dreiflügeliges barockes Gebäude. Nach 1807 wurde es von seinem damaligen Besitzer von Pfister völlig umgebaut. Eine wesentliche Baumaßnahme erlebte das Schloss 1880 durch den Grafen von Zech-Burkersroda als die Flügel entfernt wurden, ein großer Flügel an der Nordseite angebaut wurde und schöne Sandsteingauben und ein Giebel als Verzierung gebaut wurden. In den folgenden Jahren wurde mehrmals daran gebaut und so erhielt es sein heutiges Aussehen.
 

Bild: Altes Schloss um 1800. Wandmalerei im Schloss zu Börln - wird noch gesucht! (Neue Sächsische Kirchengalerie, 1914)
 
Es konnte nachgewiesen werden, dass dieses Schloss auf den Resten einer frühdeutschen Wasserburganlage errichtet wurde. Es war von einem Wallgraben umgeben. Das Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte hat dieses Bodendenkmal unter Schutz gestellt aber die Hälfte wurde kanalisiert und gefüllt.
 
Die Schlossgeschichte endete natürlich nicht mit der Enteignung der letzten Besitzer im Jahre 1945. Das Rittergut ging zunächst in die Verwaltung der Sowjetischen Armee über.
 
Im Schloss wurde vorübergehend eine Station für abhanden gekommene Kinder eingerichtet. Unter ihnen waren 20, die keinen Namen angeben konnten. Nachdem diese Kinder ihren Angehörigen zugeführt werden konnten, ist das Kinderheim im Sommer 1946 wieder aufgelöst worden.
 
Das Schloss diente Ende der 40-iger und Anfang der 50-iger Jahre aber noch anderen Zwecken. So wurden Unterrichts-und Werkräume eingerichtet und zusätzlicher Schulbetrieb aufgenommen. Über längere Zeit waren Schule und Altenheim gleichzeitig Nutzer des Schlosses.
 
Parallel zum Schulbetrieb fanden dreißig alte und hilfsbedürftige Menschen Aufnahme im Schloss. Es war die Geburtsstunde des Alters- und Pflegeheimes. Die Aufnahmekapazität war unterschiedlich, 1972 wohnten 70 und 1979/80 sogar 130 Senioren in diesem Hause.
 
Nach der friedlichen Revolution im Jahre 1989 fanden 85 Menschen hier ihr zu Hause. Ende 2002 zogen die Bewohner und Pflegeschwestern in ein neues Gebäude in Dahlen.
 
Schon im Jahr 2000 wurde entschieden, dass Schloss Börln nicht mehr als Altenheim genutzt werden sollte. Die Behörden in Torgau suchten nach einem Käufer.
 
Am 22. Juli 2003 wurde Schloss Börln an einen privaten Investor, Herr Roderick Hinkel, verkauft, der in Sachsen seine Wurzeln hat. Das Schloss wird über die nächsten Jahren restauriert und als Familiensitz und für Kunst und Kultur benutzt.
Welcome to the Homepage of Schloss Börln. Schloss Börln was built on the remains of an early German moated fort that was most likely already standing in the year 926, the year in which Börln was first recorded, surrounded by a moat.

Estimated to have been built between 1617 and 1620 as a hunting castle for the Elector Johann Georg I. of Saxony (1585 - 1656), Schloss Börln is a good example of building of the late baroque period.

In 1620 the castle was a U-shaped baroque building and until about 1800 was surrounded by water. Thereafter the moat was steadily filled in although a ring of water remained.

After 1807 the manorial estate underwent extensive additions and alterations by its owner Baron von Pfister. A substantial alteration took place in about 1880 when Count von Zech-Burkersroda modernised the castle by demolishing the two rear wings and building a single wing on the north side. Stylish sandstone gables were built for all the windows in the mansard area. In subsequent years further alterations were made, leaving the castle with its current appearance.

Electoral Hunting and Moated Castle Börln

          Castle    History    Manor    Farmyard   Village Church     Chapel    Orangery    Castle Park    Saxon Songs  Courtiers  Von Zech    Photos    Contact 
Text and all images unless specifically mentioned Copyright (C) 2016-26 Roderick Hinkel

At home here since 1472

In July 2003 the castle along with a garden of 20,000 m² was sold by the Province to Roderick Hinkel. His 13th great grandfather Dietrich the Elder von Schleinitz (†1511) Lord of the Manor of Dahlen, Under Marshall of Duke Ernst, for a time Upper Court Judge and Lord Steward at the court of Duke George, purchased the Manor of Börln with Bortewitz and Frauwalde in 1472.

Dietrich's grandfather Heinrich von Schleinitz (†1449) Lord of the Manors of Dahlen, Saathain, Schleinitz, Seerhausen, and Watzschwitz (Jahnishausen) was Lord Steward to the Elector Friedrich II "The Meek" of Saxony (1412 - 1464), in turn a 4th cousin 18 times removed of Roderick Hinkel. At that time, he found himself in a long struggle with his brother Wilhelm III over power and land. This dispute was a cause of the spectacular kidnapping of the Saxon Princes: in 1455 the Knight Kunz von Kauffungen stole the Elector's sons Ernst and Albrecht from the Castle of Altenburg in an attempt to force a settlement of his claims for losses resulting from the so-called War of Brothers. The princes were nevertheless quickly freed and Kunz von Kauffungen was hanged. The Princes Ernst and Albrecht divided their inheritence in 1485 and founded the Ernestine and Albertine Lines (the "Leipzig Partition"). Kunz von Kauffungen's sister Martha and her spouse Hugold II von Schleinitz (†1435) Lord of the Manors of Schleinitz and Seerhausen (half brother of the aforementioned Heinrich von Schleinitz of Dahlen), Knight, Reeve of Oschatz, Leisnig and Döbeln, Ducal Saxon Councillor and Lord Steward were Roderick Hinkel's 15th great grandparents.
Picture above: Greeting His Majesty King Friedrich August III of Saxony in Börln on 1st September 1910. He was the last king of Saxony from his accession in 1904 to his abdication on 13th November 1918 and died on 18th February 1932 at Schloss Sibyllenort in Silesia.

King Friedrich August III was (as was the 25 year old Count Julius von Zech-Burkersroda in Börln) a 7th great grandson of the Elector Johann Georg I of Saxony who owned the Manor of Börln between 1620 and 1635. A distant blood relationship to the royal guest of the House of Wettin is to be found today in Börln - Roderick Hinkel is his 14th cousin.

Learn more about Schloss Börln's history, current situation and plans for the future here.

Aquarelle, Steffen Gröbner, April 2010 (C) www.steffen-groebner.de

Schloss Börln was lived in by various aristocratic families who either farmed the manorial estate themselves or leased it to a tenant. Important visitors include, amongst others, King Friedrich August III. of Saxony on 1st September 1910, Count von Moltke (Guest Book to 1925) and Reichs-Chancellor Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg.

Schloss Börln lies on the Via Regia and the St. James Pilgrims' Way which leads to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, where the remains of the Apostle St. James rest in a silver tomb in the crypt of the cathedral.

Friedrich II the Meek, Elector of Saxony (1412 – 1464) and his sons the Elector Ernst (1441 - 1486) on the left and Albrecht III "the Valiant" Duke of Saxony (1443 – 1500) on the right, who on 8th July 1455 were kidnapped from Altenburg Castle by Kunz von Kauffungen. Fürstenzug, Dresden

Royal Visit to Börln in 1910

schlossboerlnenglish001001.jpg
          Castle    History    Manor    Farmyard   Village Church     Chapel    Orangery    Castle Park    Saxon Songs  Courtiers  Von Zech    Photos     Contact 
schlossboerlnenglish001001.jpg